Image Source-ISL

Finals of Indian Super League 5, held on Mar 17 ,saw the FC Goa play against Bengaluru FC.

Bengaluru FC emerged as the new Champions after they defeated FC Goa by 1-0 at the Mumbai Football Arena. After a goalless 90 minutes, the match was decided after Rahul’s looping header in the 116th minute, which made them as the champions. FC Goa had 55% possession than Bengaluru’s 45%.

Goalless Half

FC Goa won the toss and chose their side. After an entertaining start, Bengaluru FC came close to scoring, the first goal in the sixth minute as Sunil passed the ball to Miku and the latter went the past couple of defenders before firing a shot towards the goal, but the keeper came off his line to thwart Miku. In the 14th minute, Jackichand sent a delightful ball to Corominas and the latter fired a shot towards the target, but Corominas failed to hit his shot on target. In the 24th minute, Sunil sent a lovely cross inside the box, which found the head of Miku, but Miku’s header went over the bar. Before the stroke of the half time, Mandar was taken off the field after, he picked up a hamstring and both the sides went into the break without breaking the deadlock.

Goalless game after the end of 90 minutes regulation time

As the second half started, in the 58th minute, Brandon chipped in a ball to Bedia and the latter broke the defensive line and headed it towards the target, but the keeper collected his shot safely. In the 67th minute, Jackichand laid the ball to Ahmed outside the box and the latter tried to slot the ball into the top corner, but the keeper saved his shot easily as it went straight into the hands of the keeper. In the 81st minute Xisco back-heeled a cute ball to Miku who was through on goal and toe-poked the ball towards the goal, but the ball hit the far post and went away from the play. At the stroke of the end time, Nishu sent a lovely cross into the box, which found Miku, and the latter fired a shot, but Mourtada got in the way and cleared it away for a corner.

Rahul’s late header crowned Bengaluru FC as the new Champions

In the first extra time, Goa came with a lot of intent to score a goal, but the defense of Bengaluru did not allow them to score any goals. Xisco fired a shot from a distance towards the target, which went towards the right of the keeper, but the keeper made a good save by diving towards the right. At the stroke of the extra time, Ahmed received his second yellow card of the game after his rash challenge against Miku. This event reduced Goa to 10 men on the field for the remainder of the game. In the second extra time, Bengaluru had many chances for breaking the deadlock, but Mourtada was dominant in the backline to deny a goal for them. In the 117th minute, the deadlock was finally broken as Dimas corner from the right found the head of Rahul who headed it towards the far post which hits the inside of the post and found the way past in. Finally, Bengaluru FC emerged as the champions with that goal.




ISL on Social Media

Here are some of the popular social media posts on the clash between FC Goa and Bengaluru FC.



Bengaluru FC tweet after the game

ISL tweet after the match

FC Goa tweet after the game

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *